The holiday season is one of the happiest times of the year, especially for children. Not only do they get time off from school, but they are also surrounded by family, friends, and other loved ones. While the kids relax and enjoy themselves, it can be different for parents, especially if they are divorced. Perhaps one of the most commonly asked questions is if child support can be used to help pay for presents.

James H. Horton Law Firm, P.C. can help answer this child support question, providing you with the guidance you need this holiday season.

Are Gifts Paid For With Support?

Child support is not meant to compensate for your share of holiday presents. If your family celebrates the holidays this time of year, you and your ex-spouse must determine how much to spend on gifts. Recall that child support covers the following expenses:

  • Food

  • Clothing

  • Shelter

  • Education (public)

  • Medical care

  • Dental care

Furthermore, you should always pay your child support payments before spending exorbitant amounts of money on gifts. If you fail to make your payments on time, it can result in serious repercussions.

Strategies for Gift Giving

When you are divorced and giving gifts, the best course of action is coordinating with your ex-spouse to benefit the children. By having a plan set in place, you can avoid added stress surrounding the holiday season. Try the following strategies:

  • Decide together what gifts are and are not acceptable for the children.

  • Agree on how much money each of you can reasonably spend.

  • Decide if the gifts will go to one or both houses.

  • Agree on what day the kids will open their gifts.

These strategies will encourage a smooth transition into gift-giving this holiday season. Furthermore, it will help ensure that your children have a joyous holiday experience.

Child Support & Child Custody Lawyers in Denton

If you are having difficulties with child support this holiday season, don’t fret. James H. Horton Law Firm, P.C. is here to help you navigate through any custody and payment issues that you encounter.

Get A Personal Consultation

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.