Denton Drug Crime Lawyers
Standing Up for Your Rights in Drug Crime Cases in Texas
Many people find themselves receiving long prison sentences because they pleaded guilty to a drug crime without understanding their rights. If you have been arrested for a drug crime, you need to be sure that you can offer up a strong defense to these allegations with the aid of our Denton drug crime attorneys, because a conviction could have a serious impact upon the rest of your life.
Our lead attorney, Jim Horton, is a specialist in Criminal Law, as certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Jim has handled hundreds of cases in courts across north Texas, and he is ready to help you protect your rights. In addition, David Lowrance also has prior experience as a police officer, and we know how law enforcement approaches these cases.
Types of Drug Crimes
We have defended clients in many different misdemeanor and felony drug crime cases, including:
- Possession of a controlled substance, such as cocaine, meth, marijuana, heroin and prescription medications
- Manufacturing and distribution of illegal drugs
- Trafficking of illegal and prescription drugs
At the James H. Horton Law Firm, P.C., our lawyers have over 80 years of combined experience defending clients facing drug charges.
Penalties for Possession of Controlled Substances in Texas
While many states impose penalties for carrying, selling or possessing controlled substances, Texas is a state that certainly has some of the most severe punishments. Depending on the type of drug found to be in your possession or on your property, you could be serving lengthy incarceration periods and be paying extremely high fines.
Some examples of types of common drugs and their corresponding penalties include:
- Group 1 drugs(such as opium, cocaine, heroin, oxycodone, and morphine) – You could face state jail felony for having less than one gram, a third-degree felony for one to three grams, a second degree felony for up to 200 grams, or a first degree felony with a fine of $100,000 and life in prison for over 200 grams.
- Group 1-A drugs (such as LSD and derivatives) – Even just having fewer than 20 units could result in up to two years and a $10,000 fine, and having subsequent units resulting in higher fines and prison times. The highest first-degree felony for possessing over 800 units would incur up to 99 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
- Group 2 drugs (such as marijuana, Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) methamphetamine, and mescaline) – The order of felonies and corresponding penalties are almost identical to those of Group 1 drugs, except the highest first-degree felony, which has a maximum fine of $50,000.
- Group 3 drugs (such as stimulants or depressants and stimulants, compound narcotics peyote, and salvia) – While the lowest tier involving the possession of fewer than 28 grams is only categorized as a class A misdemeanor, you can still be fined up to $4,000 and spend a year in jail. The highest tier, where a person is caught with over 400 grams, still could still require $50,000 fees as well as life in prison.
- Group 4 drugs (drugs that are known for their medicinal properties but also contain tiny traces of narcotics, including opium, codeine, and ethylmorphine) – Having less than 28 grams results is a class B misdemeanor, but each subsequent amount corresponds with a higher bracket of fees and fines, until you reach the highest tier, which has the same consequences as those in Group 3.
Why You Need an Attorney to Fight Drug Crimes
Texas prosecutors are aggressive when pursuing penalties for those convicted of drug crimes. Even the possession of marijuana can lead to jail time in some circumstances. Our experienced Denton drug crime attorneys will take the time to explain the penalties you are facing and develop a strategy that is focused on protecting your freedom. The amount and type of drugs that you have at the time of your arrest will play a major role in the amount of prison time you are facing.
Should a plea bargain not be available in your case, we are ready to take on prosecutors inside the courtroom. Our extensive trial experience allows us to understand the issues that are present in drug crimes cases. We are ready to fight for you here at James H. Horton Law Firm, P.C.
He goes above and beyond to met his clients needs.- Gregory W.
Jim Horton is not only great lawyer but, a great person.- Christopher R.
I'll always be indebted to him for the fantastic job he did for me.- Mark M.
You will LOVE the final outcome.- Frank M.
Jim Horton is the attorney you want on your side.- Gigi L.
We Value Honesty & Show Genuine Care to Every Client
We Are Determined & Won't Back Down from a Challenging Case
Thousands of Trials Handled & Over 500 Tried to a Jury
Mr. Horton Is Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board Of Legal Specialization