Denton DWI Attorneys
Aggressive Defense Against Texas DWI Charges
Law enforcement agencies are committed to bringing an end to DWI in Texas. Police routinely set up saturation patrols in Denton and the surrounding communities, hoping to spot impaired motorists. If you are stopped by police under the suspicion of driving while intoxicated, you need to contact an experienced lawyer as soon as possible to begin building a defense to these allegations.
At James H. Horton Law Firm, P.C., our Denton DWI attorneys have over 80 years of combined experience defending the accused. Further, our lead attorney, Jim Horton, is a specialist in criminal law, as certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and has handled over 200 jury trials and 400 bench trials throughout the state.
DWI Laws in Texas
Did you know that according to Texas law, a DWI offense for driving while intoxicated can be given to any person so long as the motor vehicle has been operated in a public place. Many people believe that being “intoxicated” simply means you have over .08 BAC (blood alcohol content). However, a police officer can deem you as having intoxication even if your BAC is legal for being lower than .08, so long as they believe your physical and mental faculties have been negatively affected.
Penalties for DWI in Denton
- If this is your first offense, you could pay$2,000 in fees, stay up to 180 days in prison, and receive a license suspension of 90 days to 1 year. You would also need to pay a cost every year for three years just to retain your driver's license.
- For second time offenses, the fees could cost $4,000, and the time served in prison is longer, lasting up to a year rather than 180 days.
- For a third time offense, you could pay $10,000 in fines and serve up to 10 years in prison. Moreover, your license could be suspended for two years instead of one.
Helping You Keep Your Texas Driving Privileges
Prosecutors are very aggressive with Denton DWI cases, and you need to be sure that you understand that you are facing serious penalties if you are convicted of the offense. Whether this is your first DWI arrest or you are facing felony DWI charges due to repeat Denton DWI convictions, you need to take immediate action to protect your rights.
We help with several different aspects of your drunk driving case, including:
- Reviewing videotape of the traffic stop to ensure police followed all procedures
- Examining the qualifications of technicians responsible for administering blood, breath or chemical tests
- Challenging the accuracy of the results of these tests
- Working with prosecutors to reach an agreement on lesser charges, or to dismiss your case altogether, if possible
Many people do not know that the state can suspend your driver’s license even if you offer up a successful defense to the drinking and driving charges. The Texas Department of Public Safety can revoke your driving privileges if you fail to submit to blood or breath tests if requested by the officer. Our DWI attorneys in Denton can help you contest this suspension, and possibly help you obtain an occupational license so that you can drive to and from work.
He goes above and beyond to met his clients needs.- Gregory W.
Jim Horton is not only great lawyer but, a great person.- Christopher R.
I'll always be indebted to him for the fantastic job he did for me.- Mark M.
You will LOVE the final outcome.- Frank M.
Jim Horton is the attorney you want on your side.- Gigi L.
We Value Honesty & Show Genuine Care to Every Client
We Are Determined & Won't Back Down from a Challenging Case
Thousands of Trials Handled & Over 500 Tried to a Jury
Mr. Horton Is Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board Of Legal Specialization