Denton Juvenile Crime Lawyers
Skilled Representation for Clients Charged with Juvenile Crimes
If your son or daughter has been charged with a crime in Texas, you must realize the way the juvenile justice system works in the state. While juvenile crimes are handled under the family code, they still impose harsh penalties on those who are found guilty of the offenses being charged. Even a minor offense may require your child to spend time in juvenile hall or pay significant fines as a punishment for the underlying charge.
The results of these proceedings can have a major impact on your child's life. Certain offenses, such as drug crimes, may make it impossible for your child to qualify for student loans to attend college. This can derail your child's dreams before they even begin.
At the James H. Horton Law Firm, P.C., we can aggressively protect your child’s future. Our Denton juvenile crime attorneys understand the enormous risks at stake with these cases, and we are committed to presenting a strong defense against these allegations. Our lead attorney, Jim Horton, is a board-certified specialist in criminal law, as certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, meaning we possess outstanding experience, knowledge and skills.
Types of Juvenile Crimes
Even if your child is under the age of 18, different types of both felony and misdemeanor charges can be made against them, and your child could be forced to undergo serious, life-changing damages. You need compassionate, knowledgeable lawyers to support your child in this terrifying time.
We have successfully defended young people who have been accused of many criminal charges, including:
- Any traffic court crimes, which involve such actions as reckless driving, DWI, hit-and-runs, or even traveling by automobile while your license is suspended.
- Cases of theft or property, which includes shoplifting, using, keeping, and selling stolen property, and vandalism. In addition to these crimes, arson also fits under this category.
- Marijuana-related crimes, involving not only marijuana possession but also events where marijuana has been sold or even just delivered.
- Violent crimes by a juvenile person, such as possessing weapons on the campus of a school, unlawfully holding a firearm in one’s possession or using weapons to commit an aggravated assault.
- Any crimes related to the use of controlled substances, including illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia, and alcohol, on or off of school campus grounds.
- Juvenile sex crimes committed on a younger girl or boy, which include cases of rape or sexual assault and also examples of lascivious and lewd behavior, sexting, indecent exposure, battery or any other crime, that is motivated by sexual desires,
Consequences of Juvenile Crimes in Denton
One beneficial difference between the adult and juvenile justice systems is that the latter is more focused on actual rehabilitation, rather than just the punishment. Of course, both systems require heavy penalties for a crime. However, in the juvenile court, punishment is given not merely to cause pain but for the sake of instruction, and to generate a positive behavioral change.
The precise consequences that your child would have to face depend not only on the crime itself, but also your child’s background, criminal history, and age. The type of consequences could include:
- Driver’s license suspension
- Deferred prosecution (six-month voluntary probation)
- Community service
- Incarceration or commitment
Defending You Throughout All Stages of the Process
We perform a detailed review of each client’s case. Our goal is to learn more about the allegations being made, as well as the possible consequences that may be handed down. We then discuss all options with you and help you and your child decide on an appropriate defense strategy for your situation.
As skilled negotiators, our team at the James H. Horton Law Firm, P.C makes every effort to find an early resolution to the case, if it is in your child’s best interests. Should the case end up in juvenile court, we are experienced litigators. We take these cases seriously and are committed to not letting these charges ruin your child’s life.
He goes above and beyond to met his clients needs.- Gregory W.
Jim Horton is not only great lawyer but, a great person.- Christopher R.
I'll always be indebted to him for the fantastic job he did for me.- Mark M.
You will LOVE the final outcome.- Frank M.
Jim Horton is the attorney you want on your side.- Gigi L.
We Value Honesty & Show Genuine Care to Every Client
We Are Determined & Won't Back Down from a Challenging Case
Thousands of Trials Handled & Over 500 Tried to a Jury
Mr. Horton Is Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board Of Legal Specialization